Tuesday, December 1, 2009

DOUG

A few weeks ago in the midst of having a garage sale I got a letter in the mail that broke my heart. It seems that my friend of 25 years, Doug Martin had recently lost his battle with Melanoma. I didn't even know that he was sick. I had talked to him awhile back and he did not even mention that he had been sick. Doug did not drink or smoke and got plenty or sleep and exercise so it was a shock that we was even sick let alone passed away.

I first meet Doug's brother, Cliff Martin and I spent sometime hanging out with him. In the process I got to know Doug and a long lasting friendship began. One of my earliest memories of Doug is when went to see "Iron Eagle". Doug loved the movie and did a high kick after the movie because he liked it so much! That was Doug to a T! Doug was "Brody" in the movie "Point Break" without the bank robbing. He was his own man and went to the beat of his own drum. I have fond memories of going to the gym with Doug, playing Chess (he taught me how to play), long nights playing Risk, Doug's date to Orio's Halloween party, going to the movies, Doug helping my sister, Jenafer with math, my Mom asking Doug the "submarine" question while playing Trivial Pursuit one night, spending time in Las Vegas, long conversations on just about anything in life, Doug hanging out at YA activities and so many more memories! More so then anything Doug was a good friend no matter what. He would help you in anyway that he could and did not judge others. It is nice to have a good friend both in the good times and the bad.


Letter from Doug's Mom



This is a letter that Doug wrote to me back when I was trying to be a DJ. The letter means more to me then any gift that he could have given me on that Christmas so long ago.

A few pictures of Doug. I do not have a lot because Doug did not like having his picture taken. He is the one with the mustache.

No comments: