Wednesday, November 11, 2009

UPDATE ON JOB INTERVIEW

Dear friends and family,



I would like to first thank everyone who reviewed my resume last week. I was able to gain some great insights and ideas and I appreciate everyone who responded. Thursday morning I was at a class on being interviewed for employment offered by LDS Employment. I had taken the first 2 classes on job searching and resumes last year so this was a great brush up on going in for a interview and I got a lot out of the class. Friday morning I was up and out the door early so that I could be in Dallas by 8:30 AM for my job interview. After 11 months of being a stay at home dad I had forgotten how slow Dallas traffic can be on a Friday morning! I arrived early and was greeted by Ken the owner of the company and Vickie who does all of their HR/payroll and has been my contact up to now. The interview went great. We spent most of our time talking more so then being interviewed. They did have a set of questions that we finally got around to but those were more a "formality" in their words. I also appreciated that the interview was very positive and upbeat and I already felt like a member of the team. The company is family owned and has been in Dallas for 45 years and for the last 5 years it has been shifting it's focus from a storefront operation to a direct delivery company. So if a company orders office supplies they are delivered usually the next day and there is no delivery or UPS charge! This is great and with great prices and a 1500 page catalog I knew that this would be a fun job. My role would be to bring in new customers and to build the current customer base by adding new products and services. Basically "relationship sales" which I love doing! So at the end of the interview Vickie also notices my church CTR (choose the right) ring and tells me that she goes to the same church! They tell me that they really enjoyed meeting me and would be in contact with me on Monday or Tuesday.

The next few days were very long and I was very grateful that they were busy! We took the kids to see Santa Friday night and then went to a church event. Saturday morning we did a huge service project and we were worn out afterwords! Sunday was busy with church and then dinner at a friends house and then Monday came. And nothing! Didn't hear from them at all. Nope, nope, nope! Needless to say I was not a happy camper! Tuesday came and at $10:30 AM Vickie called and offered me the position! Yes! "By the way, can you start tomorrow"? OK.... They have a trade show on Thursday and they wanted to get me up to speed on Wednesday. It was really hard because I had to tell Ford Middle School where I was working part time as a Cafeteria Monitor that today would have to be my last day. I really loved working with the kids and staff there and I will miss it a lot. I had been working since the beginning of the school year trying to memorize all of the kids names. I always believed that if someone knows your name you feel just a little bit special and I wanted the kids to feel special talking to me. Everyday kids would come up to me and say "what's my name" and most of the time I would remember it. If a full-time position had come up with Allen ISD I would have taken it. I find a lot of fulfillment working with the kids and I do hope that I made just a little difference in their lives and I will miss saying "hi" to them everyday! Last night I got a priesthood blessing to help and comfort me in this new position and I appreciate Matt, Neal and Carter for coming over. I am excited about the future and I am looking forward to starting in a few (it's 4 AM) hours. This well be a great blessing to my family. If your company orders office products please let me know! Once again I truly am humbled everyone love and support with this change and with the last 11 months as while I was a stay at home dad. It has been fun, cooking, baking (cookies anyone), cleaning, working on the house more more so then anything just letting my wonderful kids know who "Dad" was and that he loves them so much! It was tough to do financially but well worth it!

Dave


http://www.ocopexpress.com/

No comments: