Wednesday, December 30, 2009

A moment with J. Golden Kimball...

A moment with J. Golden Kimball...

A woman came up to Golden after a meeting with one of the toughest Gospel questions he ever faced. She was a sweet and lovely sister.







"Brother Kimball, I've got a real problem. You've got to help me. I have two older brothers. the older of the two was out haying last August and was hit by lightning as he stood in his wagon. As dusk the horses brought him back in the wagon to the corral and he was dead. He was just as fine a man as God ever created, Brother Kimball. He was the bishop and he taught at school and he was a great father and husband and was active in the community. The whole town came to his funeral."






Brother Kimball expressed his sincere regret. She said, "Well, that's not my problem. I miss him but I know I'll see him again. It's my younger brother. He's no good at all. He smokes, he drinks, he gambles, he cheats on his wife. He's a terrible father and husband, and he's still alive. I can't figure it out. Why would the Lord take the good one?"






She started to cry. Golden put his arm around her and said, "Oh, Sister, now there's got to be an answer here."






He prayed, but nothing came to him. He prayed again very hard for several minutes. Finally, he felt inspired. "Sister, he said, "do you know what it is? It's God's will. God doesn't want that jackass brother of yours any more than you do."






The good sister went away happy with this answer. (J. Golden Kimball Stories, p. 37.38)






No comments: